Yes, it is extremely important that your pet has access to a plentiful supply of water to prevent urinary tract problems in the future.However some pets and particularly cats will not drink fresh water out of the tap. This is because fresh tap water can often contain high levels of chlorine, which some pets are particularly sensitive to. In such a case leave the water for 24 hours to allow the chlorine to dissipate before you give the water to your pet. The best way to encourage your pet to drink water is to get a small water fountain. This can be filled with tap water or mineral water, depending on which your cat seems to prefer the most! Never leave the water next to the food bowl, cats do not like this. They are programmed to eat in one area and drink in another, as they would in the wild.